In the country of a thousand hills, you can expect to have a thousand experiences.
Rwanda is a country that is vibrant and full of nature, culture, and art. It is home to our ALU campus in Rwanda which is based in Kigali, the cleanest and safest city in Africa– a true demonstration of the power of collaboration within a community. This article features some of the unique experiences you can get only in Rwanda.
- Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre: Understanding the history of a country is an important part of your experience when living, visiting, studying or working in a foreign country. The Kigali Genocide Memorial Centre commemorates the 1994 genocide against the Tutsis. It is the final resting place for over 250,000 victims of the genocide. There is a visitor center for students and those wishing to understand the events leading up to the events of 1994. It honors the memory of the more than one million Rwandans killed in 1994 through education and peace-building.
- Mamba Club: This place is all about fun and friendship. Mamba Club is the home to a variety of recreational activities including Kigali’s only bowling alley. Located in Kimihurura, this is one of the most spirited places one can visit especially if with a group of friends and family. Other than bowling, the club has other fun things to do such as playing Volleyball, Ping-Pong, foosball, billiards, and swimming. The recreation center also has a full bar and restaurant that offer a variety of food choices. To top it all, it has the beauty of Kigali with a perfect combination of nature and architecture.
- Kigali Convention Center (KCC): This state of the art building has put Rwanda on the global scene due to its impressive architecture and the beauty it portrays. Watching the lights come on in the evening around the dome of the building is a spectacular sight. A stroll by the Kigali Convention Center is peaceful and can be a treat especially to a guest with an interest in photography. The Radisson Blu Hotel is located within the same compound as KCC and there is a wide range of restaurants about 5 minutes walk at the Kigali heights complex, where one can enjoy a meal or drink and the view of the glorious building.
- Lake Kivu: The fun and adventurous experiences in Rwanda are not just tied to Kigali. You can feed your wanderlust by exploring adventures outside Kigali such as the magnificent Lake Kivu. It is the 6th largest lake on the African continent and has three major towns of Gisenyi, Kibuye, and Cyangugu. The beautiful lake offers fantastic views for picnics and a range of outdoor activities such as swimming, water sports (windsurfing, sailing) and biking around the lake beach-side picnics. The calm ambiance of this freshwater lake is perfect for a vacation. There are a variety of hotels, restaurants, and Airbnb available around Lake Kivu in Gisenyi and Kibuye.
- Iby’iwacu Cultural Village (Kinigi) Musanze: Have you ever wished you were royal for a day? The cultural village can make your wish come true. The Iby’iwacu Cultural Village (Kinigi) located in Musanze district in Nyanza province is designed to provide guests with a multi-dimensional experience of the Banyarwanda people culture. Among the activities is the royalty role play where some guests get the chance to be the king and queen of Nyanza province for a day. They are dressed in royal regalia and spend the day as they royals would. Other activities include traditional dances, traditional beer brewing, and crafts. A visit to the cultural village is both educational and entertaining as one gets immersed in the music, food, art, and rich culture of the people in Nyanza province.
Now that you have a list of five epic things to do in Rwanda go forth and explore. Rwanda has a lot to offer beyond this list and you can be sure that there is never a dull moment in the land of a thousand hills.
This article was first posted on the ALU education website, click here for more news from the university.